Problem with Aladdin Lamps (y2k?)greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) Preparation Forum : One Thread
I was trying out my two aladdin lamps last pm (which use kerosene for fuel) .....they are on the ends of the mantle on my fireplace. I have large mirrors as backgrounds behind each one hanging on the wall....(was hoping for more reflection from the light)
After using the lamps for several hours with nary a glitch,,,,suddenly there was a huge leap in the flame of one of the lamps , and the wick & chimney turned black and the mirror behind the lamp cracked from the heat! The chimney itself didn't crack (I was able to turn the lamp off quickly)....
After this episode, I turned off the other lamp (or so I thought) by lowering the wick as instructed...However, I apparantly didn't lower the wick enough as about 30 minutes later, flames shot up and were evident on the second lamp....
Anyway,, I hope everyone is careful with these new fangled preps we have been trying out....(make sure the lamps feel cold to touch shortly after they are turned off)....
-- mmmm (email@example.com), January 03, 2000
Yes! Always blow the lamp out after turning the wick down.
Also when using the lamp, check the mantle once in a while to make sure flames are not beginning to show through. That can cause a ugly deposit on the mantle and reduced output. Once adjusted correctly the deposit seems to burn off. I have never let it get real bad but I wonder if that is what happened in your situation.
-- Jim (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 03, 2000.
That's what was bothering me....I was watching to make sure the flames were very low - no black deposits were building at all - then they just shot up suddenly....
-- mmmm (email@example.com), January 03, 2000.
What you describe has never happened to me so this is a guess. How many hours did you soak the wick before you used the lamp?
-- Ken Seger (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 03, 2000.