Here's The Proof We ALL HAve Been Waiting For!!greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
Yup, Just as I thought no major problems at all, I repeat none at all. Everthing is fine and the world still goes on. Oh well, you still can drink all that water or maybe make some eternal cherry kool-aid with it like Jim Jones' followers did. Don't feel to bad though, you're not the only suckers in the world, I include myself also. What a fool I have been. All my friends keep calling and laughing because I went out on a limb to cry out the need to prepare. Just thought I would vent alittle sorry if I upset anyone. Happy new year.
-- Bill Thomas (SH@ner.com), December 31, 1999
""Yet the almost universal fixation on calendar roll-over, fundamentally a clock-only issue, which the 'end game' metaphor implicitly and therefore subliminally and dangerously supports, has so skewed the dialog and the public consciousness that society has been forced to focus on the (((5%))) of the Y2k crisis that is least dangerous and easiest to deal with and obscured from clear view the other ((95%)) of the problem that has the potential to do great damage to the economic and social order.""
Dale Way essay
-- D....... (email@example.com), December 31, 1999.
Gee Bill, THANKS MAN! This is the kind of REAL INFO that I've been clicking through the SERVER BUSY message to get to. Read --d--'s response to your post, and if you feel the need for your KoolAid,don't feel obligated to share it.
on de rock
-- Walter (on de firstname.lastname@example.org), December 31, 1999.
Doomsday Chorus: "But the actual rollover is trivial. We shouldn't expect to see more than a fraction of any Y2K problems on the 31st--the critical period is far longer than one day."
Response: "Sure, but the critical period doesn't start on 01/01/00, either. It started--at the latest--on October 1, when the US Government, etc., rolled over the fiscal calendars. The real professionals--not the freshly-minted snake-oil 'consultants' peddling thriller novels and $80 'survival kits'--estimate we'll see maybe 10% of Y2K failures tonight, true...but also that we've already seen another 20% of them."
Looks like we're gonna make it! Raise a glass with me, and I'll see you at the food bank later, putting all those cans to good use.
-- Craig Bryant (email@example.com), December 31, 1999.
Just got back home and was listening to the radio in my van. They had a sound bite of Koskinen basically saying that we're not out of the woods yet -- problems can occur as a degradation of service over several days rather than an abrupt failure at midnight.
Bill, do you think that Y2k was the only possible source of problems that need some basic preparation.
-- Mikey2k (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 31, 1999.
Don't feel too bad Bill. I am glad that the alarms were sounded a couple years ago. I credit Bill Bennet (senator - Utah) for kickin' some people into action. If we had done nothing, then we would all be hurting right now. I prepared. I don't regret it. It is always a good idea to be prepared. Don't kick yourself. Earthquakes, Storms and other fun stuff could happen. Hang onto your stash. You just never know. God Bless and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
-- Jeff Ames (Jeff@IOLvegas.Com), December 31, 1999.
Bill, it ain't over till it's over and that won't be for a quite a while (months).
Craig, don't gloat. Insofar as the food bank is concerned, I didn't buy anything that I don't normally buy....just more of it. Yeah, I could have bought those C-rats cheap but I ate them off and on for 12 years courtesy of the Army and I swore I'd never eat them again. If you buy something you would not use in normal times, you wasted your money. That was one of the things the regulars preach on this forum....Don't buy something if your family won't use it under normal conditions.
Hope it all continues quiet.
-- Lobo (email@example.com), December 31, 1999.
So 15 of the 24 time zones have rolled over...that's 0.625, and uh times 5% of the problems...that's 3.125% of the way, with only one nuclear malfunction, um 1 entire water plant lost due to (*throat clearing) 23 mph winds, 2 temp power outages in NZ, where else folks? I've been offline...
So, if 3.125% of y2k has been a BITR, then what will we get for the remaining 96.875%?
Scary when you do the math, huh?
-- Hokie (Hokie_@hotmail.com), December 31, 1999.
I would only expect to see major problems such as power outages at this point- all the rest- along with all the "non-mission critical" system stuff is still to come. Being prepared for the unexpected is always a good idea IMHO- I haven't bought a thing that we won't use. No regrets- and if all goes well- that's cool- I have no desire to see people get hurt.
-- farmer (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 31, 1999.
And where on earth is AL-D?
-- dinosaur (email@example.com), December 31, 1999.