TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: Y2K NEWS AND PREPgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
For information purposes only.
Tourbus mails information on different interesting websites via e-mail
This is todays mailing.
Y2K NEWS SITES
If there are Y2K problems in various parts of the world, here are some places you can go for up to date information:
- CNN's @2000 SITE will offer live updates on the Y2K story from dozens of major cities around the world. There are also lots of links to other Y2K information sites.
- REUTERS MILLENNIUM STATUS will provide regular status reports based on verified information, starting at 11:00 on December 31.
http://www.reuters.com/millennium (Main site)
http://millennium.reuters.com (Backup site)
- YAHOO FULL COVERAGE is always a good place to look for breaking news, and I'm sure they will have plenty of Y2K stories over the next week or so, with links to specific information for every part of the world.
- THE INTERNATIONAL Y2K COOPERATION CENTER has links to get information about Y2K and to contact over 170 national and regional coordinators. You can review country Y2K readiness surveys and check the Global Status Watch in English, Spanish and French, and Portuguese.
LAST MINUTE Y2K PREP TIPS
What steps should you take to safeguard your computer and finances from potential Y2K glitches? If you're worried about your bios or your bank account, I've got some excellent sites to point you in the right direction:
- Visit ZDNET'S Y2K SITE for tons of info relating to computers and the Year 2000 issue. Free downloads, forums, news, and reviews.
- Check out the Y2K FINANCIAL PREP tips at this Yahoo site:
DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!
It could be dangerous to pick up your phone at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. No, your phone won't explode, but if too many people pick up their phones at the same time, it could overload the telephone networks and potentially lock out people trying to call for emergency help.
So please resist the urge to call and say "Happy New Year" the moment the year 2000 arrives. And note that a rapid busy signal DOES NOT mean that your phone company has melted down. The rapid busy just means that all circuits are busy, and you should try your call later.
My advice: wait until you NEED to make a call to test your phone line. Think about it... If you picked up the phone at 12:01 AM and it didn't work, what would you do - telegraph the phone company?
That's all for now, see you next YEAR! --Bob Rankin
=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238 Copyright 1995-99, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
Do You Like Tourbus? Recommend It and You Could Win a Palm Pilot! CLICK HERE
Join : Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Note : Put LISTSERV commands in the message BODY, not SUBJECT line.
Tourbus Home: Archives, Free Stuff and More - http://www.TOURBUS.com
-- Cherri (email@example.com), December 28, 1999