Is it safe to use a propane lantern indoors?greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
It says on the box to only light it outdoors, but can you use it indoors? My husband wonders if it might eat up oxygen indoors. You know the ones I mean, the kind with the little canister of propane on the bottom. Thanks for any help.
-- star (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 26, 1999
That warning protects them legally if you are injured or killed by carbon monoxide from the lantern.
-- Bill Byars (email@example.com), December 26, 1999.
Should be confined to only short term emergency use indoors. Several children dead recently from use in a tent outdoors. Any unvented flame is dangerous. Even more so in a well insulated (tight) hiuse.
-- goldbug (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 26, 1999.
I would not use a propane light inside the home. I have twenty-five years in the business and do not recommend it. They use a large volume of oxygen and the potential is there for carbon monoxide.
In a very well insulated home these factors could present a problem.
In the past we sold a gas light for cabins and camps but were very strict in their application and the need for make up air.
-- FRODO BAGGINS (FRODO@MIDDLEEARTH.COM), December 26, 1999.
LadyLogic can use one inside, but no-one else should.
-- David M (email@example.com), December 26, 1999.
I'm planning not only to use a Propane lantern, but a propane catalytic heater as well...Keep the damper to the fireplace chimney open, and open several windows 6 inches each.
Oh yes...get a couple of Carbon Monoxide detectors...battery operated devices with a LOUD alarm!!
-- Z (Z@Z.Z), December 26, 1999.
---allright, what's the diffrence in burning a rather small and efficient propane light inside, and using a propane stove and oven daily, which untold thousands of folks do now, and to a lesser degree, propane refrigerators? I burn propane every time we cook in my rv. How is a light more dangerous? I'm just curious. For several decades, hundreds of thousands of US homes used gas lights, as well, I mean, the atlanta gas supplier is called "Atlanta Gas Light" from the olden days. Yes, I know, propane not exactly the same as city gas, but the original question is still valid, why are stoves/ovens safe and lights are not?
-- zog (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 26, 1999.
Don't use any of that propane stuff inside. We used a neighbor's cabin years ago while we where building a house. We moved all our plants in and the fumes killed them all even though we felt fine.
-- Todd Detzel (email@example.com), December 26, 1999.
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll stick to candles, oil lamps and flashlights. I guess hubby was right! Geez I hate to admit that! haha
-- star (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 26, 1999.
Propane is nothin' to fool around with. You must seek advice from a trained propane professional.
-- Hank Hill (Hank Hill@Texas.Propane), December 26, 1999.
"I think I'll stick to candles, oil lamps and flashlights."
Those are MORE dangerous than propane!
-- (email@example.com), December 26, 1999.
I think the best way to answer this question is to ask how its vented. I heat with propane, one furance in house and one regular house furnance in garage. My neighbors cook with propane household stoves. Wish I had one. If you watch any professional cooking shows all the chefs are cooking on a natural or propane stoves. I plan to use a propane stove in house if we lose electric. I think Coleman is worried about their liability. In regard to a propane lantern I will use it only with caution. It gives out a lot a heat and I don't think it burns as efficiently. Propane is dangerous as its heavy that air, Just remember, people use it all the time and if you know what you are doing it should be safe. Again, I am only going to use the Coleman lantern if really needed due to what I think is poor combustion. If you really need it, just open a window and keep it away from flammable materials. I am more worried about the heat from the propane lantern than the CO factor. I would never, and I repeat never burn anything in the house using White Gas as a fuel.
-- Bill (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 26, 1999.