No withdrawls of bank's mistake : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread


December 17, 1999

No withdrawals of bank's mistake

QWhat is the problem with our large banks? They buy up smaller banks and then proceed to louse up the records. They have employees who are uniformly arrogant ("the bank doesn't make mistakes like that"). When the error is proved, they don't want to correct it.

In my case, I sent in my February 1999 mortgage payment, which the employees all claimed was not received. When I sent them photocopies of the canceled check, they were lost six times. And the check was drawn on their bank!

Now, they have sent me a letter threatening foreclosure. Why does the government allow banks to grow so large that they are unable to correct a simple error? What can I do now to get them off my back?

AYours is one of two almost identical letters that I received this week about errors with the same bank. Contact the person who sent you the foreclosure letter. Send him/her a letter enclosing a copy of the canceled check together with copies of any other correspondence you sent to and got from the bank. Do it by certified mail with a return receipt requested.

If that person is local, make a personal visit as well. Walk right into that person's office. Don't let a secretary stop you. Demand an immediate halt to their foreclosure actions. Demand that they credit your account immediately as of the date the check was deposited by them.

Notify the Pennsylvania Department of Banking. If none of this works, try a trip to Small Claims Court. Beyond that, you'll need a lawyer.


-- Homer Beanfang (, December 17, 1999


#%@_+*| banks

sue em

-- arrogance (hassle@headache.piss-off), December 17, 1999.

yep, I have been going to the bank that has my mortgage, and writing a check to pay the mortgage, in order to get a RECEIPT!. if I send it in via snailmail, I dont get a RECEIPT! if they try to say I missed a payment, I will SUE THEM SIX TIMES BEFORE THEY HIT THE GROUND! I used to send the mortgage in by mail, but I dont trust that method anymore!.

-- ed (, December 17, 1999.

Walk right into that person's office. Don't let a secretary stop you.

BAD ADVICE!!! Do that and you could find yourself arrested for trespassing and disturbing the peace. Definitely NOT something that's going to help you if you wind up going to court with the bank.


-- TECH32 (TECH32@NOMAIL.COM), December 17, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ