Lens Shades and Filter Holders

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hello All, I could use some help finding a filter holder and lens shade setup for my 5x7/4x5 Burke & James field camera. I've priced Lindahl and Lee and they seem very expensive. For what it's worth, I've put together a set of used equipment very cheaply and would like to do the same with this component of the system. I'd like to spend no more than $150.00, and $100.00 would be better. I have two lenses: a 10" Comm. Ektar, which has a standard (52mm, 55mm, or 58mm -- it's not in front of me right now) thread. However, the flange is so thin that the filters don't hold tight if the lens is bumped against something even lightly. I also have a 4-1/4" Wollensak that has a very narrow, non-threaded front flange. Finally, I have a number of Cokin P filters that I would like to continue using to avoid duplicating filters and costs. Most of my photography is black & white landscape and scenics. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

-- Jim Worthington (jcw@phr.ccmail.compuserve.com), December 14, 1999


One good option might be the gel filter holders. Try www.calumetphoto.com and www.bhphoto.com. They come with the barn door type shades which are very useful, not to mention an order of magnitude cheaper than some other options. They are designed to hold gelatin filters like the Kodak Wratten ones. However, they look like they can hold reasonably thick stuff (I mount my gel filters in cardboard mounts and it holds those with no trouble). I haven't actually tried a resin filter like a Cokin but I think it would work. Even if its too thin, you can always use a screwdriver and gently prise it open a little more to accomodate the thicker stuff. Good luck. DJ

-- N Dhananjay (ndhanu@umich.edu), December 14, 1999.

I use a Cokin P holder. Singh-Ray and Tiffen both make filters, both square and rotating, that fit this holder. SRB Film Co. of England sells a self-supporting bellows shade (Pro-Shade) that then fits the front of this holder. The shade is made by the same folks that make the Lee self supporting shades, but is smaller to fit the Cokin P system. This setup works well, holds about any filter you can imagine, and is small and light.

-- Glenn C. Kroeger (gkroeger@trinity.edu), December 14, 1999.

Hi Jim,

Since you already have Cokin P filters, the cheapest way for you to go is get one of their universal mounts. I'm not sure of the exact name off the top of my head, but I got mine from B&H. It attaches to any lens, as long as the barrel of the lens fits through the opening. (My internally threaded 67 mm lens fits through with at least 1/2" to spare.) It attaches by means of three nylon screws which apply pressure to outside of the lens barrel. The Cokin holder slips onto it in the same way that threaded adapters work with the Cokin holder. If I remember correctly it was about $25. It's not the most convenient thing to use, but it does work and is cheap.

-- Pete Caluori (pcaluori@hotmail.com), December 17, 1999.

Hi Jim, Have you tried Bowens multi clips?this is a terrific gadget, inexpensive,effective. It can be used to hold your filter/s whether they are wratten or stiff (Sinar/Hi Tech)filters. It also can be used to hold your home made lens shade.Have fun.

-- Theo Tan (aperture@sprint.ca), December 25, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ