More Lists of Top Ten Y2K Mythsgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
From: Y2K, ` la Carte by Dancr (pic), near Monterey, California
I was going to post this on Mr. Decker's thread on Top Ten y2K Myths, but that thread ended up being a debate on those exact "Myths," rather than an invitation for others to post similar lists. Since it was getting longish, I'll start a new one.
My own list of Y2K myths:
10. It's not necessary to prepare for possible disruptions if it may be true that the only reason there may be disruptions is that people think there may be some.
9. There is no danger of being a victim of a weapon of mass destruction just because some of them may be unable to be fired after the end of the year.
8. One only need prepare for how bad they think things probably will get.
7. The problem is so big that there's nothing you can do to improve your personal situation.
6. Your kids are so adorable that somebody will take food from their own kid's mouths to feed yours.
5. In case of disaster, somebody from outside will show up within 72 hours to help you.
4. If your bank were one of those not ready for Y2K, they would have told you so when you asked.
3. The basis of the Y2K problem is monumentally stupid, and therefore, cannot be true.
2. If you want to badly enough, it is possible to live like grandma once did.
1. Government and industry spokes models have your best interests at heart.
Bonus: The media are covering this story to death.
-- Dancr (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 01, 1999
A MUCH better list than Decker's, IMHO!
-- Ludi (email@example.com), December 01, 1999.
Ooh, ooh, let me try one:
10. All that isn't fixed will fail.
9. All that has been fixed won't fail.
8. All those that say they'll hoard will do so.
7. All those that say they won't hoard won't do so.
6. A manufacturer will fold if any of it's suppliers folds.
5. A manufacturer can survive if all of its potential suppliers for even its least important part fold.
4. The engineers who understand the technical issues also understand the big picture enough for them to be useful indicators.
3. The executives who see the big picture also have enough understanding of the technical issues for them to be useful indicators.
2. There will be so little evidence of problems that the pollys will be unarguably right.
1. There will be so much evidence of problems that the doomers will be unarguably right.
Bonus Myth: There is one person, just one, anywhere in the world, who really and fully and completely understands the problem enough to correctly predict both what will happen, and what we will all, as individuals, perceive and experience in the coming months.
-- Colin MacDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 01, 1999.
Spokes models! I love it!!!
-- Y2Kook (Y2Kook@usa.net), December 01, 1999.
Let me play!
10) Y2K is a people problem.
9) When the power, phone, water and sewage systems go down, DGIs won't notice.
8) Your neighbor DGI won't take a crap in their non-working toilet.
7) You can isolate yourself from your neighbor DGIs.
6) You can turn hungry and thirsty children and adults away while you still have pleanty of food and water.
5) Shelters will be nice and warm, with pleanty of food and water for everyone.
4) The Government is going to feed and water you.
3) Corporations are going to feed and water you.
2) Churches are going to feed and water you.
1) "God" is going to feed and water you.
Bonus: Corporate and Government leaders have no incentive to lie about how bad Y2K may be.
Extra Credit: The media isn't controlled by Corporations or the Government.
-- GoldReal (GoldReal@aol.com), December 01, 1999.
1) "God" is going to feed and water you.
... seems to be how a lot of people feel.
-- DanG (email@example.com), December 01, 1999.
This thread ought to be e-mailed to DGIs. With the reminder that Y2K is now ONE MONTH away.
-- King of Spain (firstname.lastname@example.org), December 01, 1999.
>1) "God" is going to feed and water you.
>... seems to be how a lot of people feel.
He's been doing this all along...O ye of little Faith!
Silver and gold have I none, but such as I may need God will supply. I expect such a dire scenario in the next few weeks that spiritual preparation may be more effective than physical preparation! The solution...prayer and fasting until God comes thru:
Psalm 37 [NIV] 25
I have been young and now I am old, Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken Or his descendants begging bread.
All day long he is gracious and lends, And his descendants are a blessing.
-- Slobby Don (email@example.com), December 02, 1999.
-- D E F (EatTheRich@mailcity.com), December 02, 1999.
May 7th 2004. Still waiting for the catastrophe?
-- Peter Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org), May 08, 2004.