Check Your Homeowner Policy : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

This may have been brought up before... if so I apologize. most H.O. Insurance policies exclude coverage for "backing up of sewers and drains". If there are problems with wastewater treatment systems and/or lift stations, this could create a problem which could cause "bugging-out" regardless of how well preped one is. I am considering having a shut-off valve put in if not to expensive. Of course this could be a neighborhood or city-wide failure in which case we would have only protected our property but would probably still have to evacuate if possible. I wonder if the expense of installing a shut-off valve would be covered under the "Sue and Labor" clause of the policy...or,for that matter, any expense to preserve and protect insured real and personal property?

I was a Commercial Inand Marine Underwriter for 17 years before starting my own business several years ago so I'm a little "foggy" on some of the Personal Lines Coverage Parts.I

-- Larry (, November 24, 1999


con't: do recall that ther has been previous controversy surrounding water damage as a result of freezing pipes. Most companies took the position that the exclusion re. freezing/bursting pipes did not cover the broken pipe but the resulting damage was covered. Sure wouldn't want to be in the Insurance business next year!

-- Larry (Stop@the, November 24, 1999.

Regarding home owners insurance.....I just had a water heater go out on me. A friend said call your homeowners insurance and they will pay for it. I said, no way!

I called them just to prove my point and they are going to pay for the whole thing except the labor. I could not believe it! Has anybody ever heard of that before? During my lifetime I have replaced several water heaters, but never thought to get my insurance to pay for it. I wonder if they would pay for a new furnace?

-- freddie (, November 24, 1999.

I wonder if your rates will go up because you made a claim.

-- Ron Schwarz (, November 25, 1999.

Yo Larry! One solution to your concern about backed-up sewers would be to use "dollar plugs". They come in various sizes for use in floor drains and waste pipes. If you have a commode in your basement, you would to remove it to be able to plug up the waste pipe. I was told by a plumber friend that these work. Rots a ruck!

-- Everitt Simpson (, November 25, 1999.

Hey, I used one of those plug thingys to stop up a basement drain that had a tendency to spout water during rainstorms. It worked like a charm! It's just two big washers with a rubber doughnut inbetween, and a wingnut and center post that pushes the rubber out when torqued down to seal off the drain. Cheap protection.

-- PillsBury DoughBoy (, November 25, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ