FD lenses manual diaphragm control

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Canon FD : One Thread

Where in the world can I find (and buy) the small plastic part called 'accessory manual diaphragm adapter' used to control the aperture in the more recent FD bayonet mounts (the older breech-lock mount ring lenses do not need this accessory) ? I have been looking for in Italy, where I live, as well as in the Web, but it seems that nobody has ever seen one. Thank you all for your help. Giovanni Magini

-- Giovanni Magini (g.magini@tiscalinet.it), November 23, 1999


That part is also known as a macro hood. It allows you to operate the diaphragm when the lens is reversed with a macro coupler. In that configuration, it also works as a hood.

I don't know of any particular source, but just do searches on cameras and used cameras.

-- Terry Carraway (TCarraway@compuserve.com), November 24, 1999.

There are actually two gizmos that perform the same function. The first is what Giovanni discusses. It's a little black plastic piece that is used to hold the new FD diaphragm lever in the closed position. Most FD breechlock lenses don't need this because they have an internal latch to hold the lever. The new FDs do.

The second gizmo is basically a cut-out rear lens cap with a post on the inside to push the diaphragm lever as the cap is installed on the lens. This does the same function as the first piece and also acts as a hood to cut down on light plus protect the rear element.

I have both items. They were found in various camera stores' old canon bits bins. Some of the bigger US camera stores may have some left. Otherwise, try the Canon parts group in New Jersy at (732) 521- 7230.

If all else fails, one could make up either of these pieces. If you want dimensions or shapes please email me directly.

-- Duane K. (dkucheran@creo.com), November 24, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ