Some "stuff" at the dollar store. : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) Preparation Forum : One Thread

We have Family Dollar and Dollar General in my area and I haunt them both. Some things you may or may not have thought of:

Barbeque grill brushes for $1

eye glasses repair kits $1

Large jars of generic Vicks and Petroleum jelly $1

Triple antibiotic ointment, muscle rub, and generic Lanacane $1

Large corn brooms (hate those plastic things)

VO5 shampoo and conditioner $1

Large cans of peanuts $1

Canned hams $2.49

Small cans of chunk ham 2/$1

I just spent $68 at the dollar store and sent a "Y2K package" to a friend in Europe. It would cost them $200 to buy what I sent them. As you can imagine, I am down to the point of laying awake nights trying to think if I have missed anything. But its been some months since Chubby Hubby or I have said, "hey, ya know what we forgot??" So guess we are ok. Happy Holidays everyone. Give lots of thanks for the blessings of this forum and the knowledge you have gained in order to prepare in advance. A special thanks to Ed Yourdon for the creation of this forum.


-- Taz (, November 23, 1999


Thanks for all your tips Taz - you have saved me time and money during this past year that I have been frequenting the yourdon forum(July98). BTW, did you and chubby hubby ever get a federal farm ID number? Might be helpful for fuel preferences next year. Happy Thanksgiving - I'm truly grateful to have found this forum, and VERY grateful for being able to prepare somewhat for the future.

-- jeanne (, November 23, 1999.

BOINK..!! No Federal farm #. Had one when we lived in Pacific NW but not here in Florida. Never even gave it a thought. Thanks alot. Will get on that in the morning. Taz

-- Taz (, November 23, 1999.

Taz, I have eyeglass kits! Just now trying to get that tiny screw to go into the hole and---no can do.

-- Mara (, November 23, 1999.

Jeanne and Taz,

One of you please explain, how a federal farm ID number might be helpful for fuel preferences next year.......


-- Vernon Hale (, November 23, 1999.

How do you get a federal farm ID #???

-- Arewyn (, November 24, 1999.

Other Dollar Store finds I have stocked:

Pudding: 3/$1.00

Lemonaid and Punch drink mix (makes 8 gallons): $1.50

Libby veges: 3/$1.00

Various spices, garlic powder, Italian mix, etc: 2/$1.00

Cereal (cherios and corn flakes store brand): $1.50 box

Gravey mixes (brow, chicken and chili mix): 3/$1.00

I love the Dollar Stores. :-)

-- Lilly (, November 24, 1999.

Other Y2K items from Dollar Store I've bought:

Gold Bond-type powder

Pkgs. Bath soap

2/pkg. scoops for grains, rice

tools: screwdrivers, sm. & lg., screws, nails


black olives (79 cents)

eye protector

face masks

basters (to use for fuel)

...and much more I can't recall months later...

-- Elaine Seavey (, November 24, 1999.

Mara, I also bought one of those eyeglass kits and the screws didn't fit into my glasses. So I marched myself down to my eyeglass store and asked very nicely for extra screws for both myself and my daughter's glasses that we bought this year. I did tell them it was in case Y2K is a problem. They rolled their eyes upwards, said nothing would happen, but I got my screws! :)

-- Debi (, November 24, 1999.

Re the federal farm ID #. If gasoline products are rationed and you have a farm, you (maybe, who knows now?)will be alloted a certain amount of fuel based on your previous used amounts. I think this is expecially true for Off Road diesel. Off Road is much cheaper as it down't have the road taxes added to it. However, it is limited in use to off road vechicles, such as tractors, combines, trucks that are used only for farm work, etc. There is a stiff fine if they find off road diesel in your everyday vechical. There is a dye in it so they can easily tell if its off road or regular. Feferal farm ID # is just like any business Fed ID # that you use for taxes. Its just that its for farm businesses. As to where to get it, I just called out accountant and he said, "huh??? Its Federal, honey, it doesn't change just because you changed farms." Duh!!


-- Taz (, November 24, 1999.

Taz - your accountant must have been thinking of EIN - which is a federal tax number (employer identification number to be exact). It would be used on all tax returns, withholding coupon payments, etc etc. The farm number is different. If you sign up as a producer of food or fiber at your county Farm Service Agency (which is a combination of the previous ASCS office and another one-I think for soil conservation) - then you get a farm number in that federal office. If you get grain disaster payments, drought disaster payments - and on and on - they use your farm number on all their documents. For instance, we got two small checks for livestock-drought disaster payments last year. I got a different number through the state however. It is for sales tax exemption for farm purchases. Therefore, we are on two "lists" as a producer of food/fibre. If fuel is rationed, I believe those that produce food/fibre will have a preference. I originally got the sales tax exemption number by saying that we raised asparagus. It was actually true; we had(have) about 200 feet rows of asparagus - then got into the cattle business a year or so later. If you look at your county seat's phone book under U.S. Govt, you will find the farm service agency. Be sure to take the legal description of your property with you. Good Luck!!

-- jeanne (, November 24, 1999.

Taz - if you check at your Farm Service Agency office next week, let me know what you find out. What food or fibre product would you list that you produce?

-- jeanne (, November 27, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ