Community Conversations, Friars Hill, WVgreenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
Just came from Community Conversations, Friars Hill Style. Friars Hill, WV, that is. Community Thanksgiving Luncheon, covered dish style. People came in pickups, down off mountains, up the hollers. Beautiful day, warm for November, in the 60 degree (F) range, sunny.
- lots of gray hair
- lots of laughter
- strong people, good people
- good food.......no, great food
- Y2K only alluded to, never discussed outright -- got your tanks full? Got enough firewood? On everyone's mind, no need to talk.
- discussions were when to put the final top on the farm fuel tanks. No need to discuss food since everyone has full pantries, everyone has wood stove and oil lamps, wood stacks are high
- need rain to fill the creeks and reduce fire threats
- deer season starts in a week.
- sadness.....will it be this good next year?
- happiness.....we'll look out for each other
-- de (delewis@XOUTinetone.net), November 20, 1999
Nice meeting, sounds like. Thank you for reminding me about how human beings can be when it "works well."
You take care and watch your topknot, too!
-- Donna (email@example.com), November 20, 1999.
Sounds like a wonderful slice of life in rural America. It seems like these folks are well aware of the priorities and how to carry on. Thanks for a good post.
-- Irving (firstname.lastname@example.org), November 20, 1999.