Panaramic roll film holder for 8X10? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

If i wanted to use 120 roll film horizontally on my 8x10, is there a back available for this? I can't afford a 6x17 camera and cropping an 8x10 sheet of film like that seems like a waste. thanks.

-- Dave Anton (, November 02, 1999


It would be slightly less of a waste to get a 5x7 reducing back and use 5x7 film. That would get you your 17 cm. I have heard of configurations which only make an exposure on one half of the negative at once by simple means of a 1/2 size dark slide that you insert in the holder before making the exposure. That way you would get two exposures on each piece of film.

-- Erik Ryberg (, November 02, 1999.

One option is to get an old 8x10 back & modify it for shooting 4x10, then get a few 4x10 holders and shoot that format. If you couple it with a 90XL super angulon you will get some dramatic perspective images. It will probably cost less to do this than finding a 120/220 back that would work.

-- Dan Smith (, November 02, 1999.

Bender Photographic sells one of those 4x10 masks for 8x10. It's $25. You can find them here.

I don't know for sure if this adapter works with cameras other than Bender's own, but I imagine it does, as they say their cameras use normal film holders. You can always ask 'em.

-- Marc Fraioli (, November 03, 1999.

there actually are a very few 6cm x 24cm modified Linhoff Techikardans out in the world, as well as some ArtPan 6x24cm cameras. Also Canham and Wisner and maybe a couple of other makers make 4x10 VC cameras.

-- Ellis Vener (, November 05, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ