Application/Qualifications : LUSENET : Smokejumpers : One Thread

I am a New York Firefighter with wilderness camping/survival experience and I am in the Army. How would I see about applying for this kind of work, and what are the qualifications and certifications required to apply? I would like to see about this kind of career but I know nothing about the process of becoming a wilderness airborne firefighter. What do i have to do? Thank you.

-James Festa

-- James Festa (, October 02, 1999


on becoming a smokejumper


We're in the process of adding more info on how to become a smokejumper to our site. Meanwhile, check out the Redding smokejumpers page. You can find a link to it on our Links page, in the top right-hand corner. They have a detailed description of what experience you need and all that. Basically you need two seasons of forest firefighting experience to be minimally qualified. If you still have questions after visiting the Redding site, feel free to ask them here and we'll get you an answer. Also, has added a section on smokejumping. It's also referenced from our Links page, and they have info on hiring for ground crews as well.


-- dan mccomb (, October 04, 1999.

application for jumping

please send a application for school and jumping or imfo that you might have .. thank you verry much.... at

-- don mangus (, February 09, 2003.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ