what are the bi-laws of all a.m.e churches?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : A.M.E. Today Discussion : One Thread

I would like a copy of the rules, laws, or bi-laws governing all of the AME Churches. I currently resides in the state of SC and am in need of a copy.

-- Anonymous, July 25, 1999


Ask your pastor or presiding elder where you can purchase a copy of the 1996 Discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church or check your Sunday School book for the address of the Sunday School Union. You can order one from there. God Bless

-- Anonymous, August 20, 1999

I have no answer, but I'm in need of an answer. My Pastor recently past away and one of the ministers is trying to assume pastorialship. He claims he has a legal document that will allow him to make this decision. Please help me because he is not fit to become a pastor right know. In the past ten years he has left the church about six time because he refuse to be obient to the pastor. Everything he say or do he believe is right. If he don't get his way he leaves the church. My question is, Is there any type of legal documents that will allow this to go on? and If so, will you please email me a copy of this? or Tell me what as a member of my church for ten years can do to make this time of sorrow easy for the church? Thank you in advance. Latonya Maddox

-- Anonymous, January 11, 2001

First, LaTonya, on behalf of the AME Today family, let me offer condolences to you and your congregation. We are saddened to hear of your loss, and pray God's comfort for you and the church at this painful time.

If the Presiding Elder is not already aware, please have the Stewards make a call. Between Annual Conferences it is the delegated responsibility of the PE to assure proper coverage for all pulpits. Sometimes this means they will come themselves and be interim pastor. Sometimes it means a supernumerary (Preacher with orders, but no charge) will be assigned to your church. Sometimes it may devolve to to the local church staff. But the PE has that delegated responsibility, serving at the pleasure of the Bishop.

And, get a Discipline. Any "document" that provides Pastoral Authority is issued by a Bishop, given under his/her hand and the Denominational Seal in the Episcopal Chambers. If this document does not meet these qualifications, it is probably not valid. If this "document" is more than 1 year old, it is no longer valid.

-- Anonymous, January 11, 2001

Moderation questions? read the FAQ