ED YOURDON and Flint agree on y2k ???????

greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

Flint believes that he and Ed Yourdon agree in that everyone's preparation decisions are personal.

True enough, apparently they would both agree. Well, actually, half-true enough because there is an important difference, as in the next breath Flint adds "and everything indicates that it won't be all that bad", while Ed says "but everything indicates that it'll all be pretty bad". This difference is of utmost importance, of course, particularly for newcomers to this forum. Cognoscenti are not the problem. Dilettanti and ignoranti are the problem. Furthermore, Ed is always consistent and full of common sense, while Flint's French Hamlet intellectual conundrum is unfathomly difficult to resolve most of the time. Because although Flint has not discouraged preparations outright, his conclusions would lead less informed people not to prepare. But let there be no doubt about the fact that Flint is fully prepared for y2k of course, as he has openly admitted with detailed descriptions.

The problem with half-truths, of course, is that depending upon circumstances they can do far more harm than many lies. IMHO the Y2K scenario is one of such circumstances. And what Flint ignores is that no matter how well prepared he is, if his neighbors aren't, he's still toast. Wellcome to y2k.

-- George (jvilches@sminter.com.ar), July 22, 1999


George, it's always Flint;s next breath that tells the REAL story !!


-- Ray (ray@totacc.com), July 22, 1999.

I just can't tell you all how VERY much I wish the Flintless, worm- eating-weasel would comment on Milne's, "Y2K Scapegoats" thread. What a panty sniffer!

-- Will continue (farming@home.com), July 22, 1999.

The fact of the matter is, is that no one is right and no one is wrong because predicted future events haven't come to pass. However, those "experts," who predicted past events now have egg on their face. How many chances do you get at predicting the future? People are losing interest in what the doom and gloomers have to say and their credibility is sinking fast. It does not matter what Flint thinks of what Ed thinks because no one has a crystal ball.

-- speakyourmind (speakyourmind@speak.com), July 22, 1999.

-- speakyourmind, dream on my friend, you either can't read or have neglected to read the articles posted here the past few days.

Your Pal, Ray

-- Ray (ray@totacc.com), July 22, 1999.

The problem I have with Flint is that while he trys to convince people that everything will be OK, he

- Has stockpiled a year or more of food and supplies

- Lives in a semi rural setting

- Talks about he and his wife's weekly target practice.

- Says regardless of the consequences, he's not leaving money in the bank.

I think his tune would not be so mellow if he

- Had just discovered a need to stock up

- Lived in a city

- Had never owned or used a gun

- Had significant investments tied to the stock/banking system

-- a (a@a.a), July 22, 1999.

I just wanna know what the wet towel thinks about his government's announcments, coming out of the woodwork like chiggers, claiming those who have made prudent preparations (unlike the government)will BE TO BLAME for the result of failed remediation.

What say YOU about that, 'spewyourmind'?

-- Will continue (farming@home.com), July 22, 1999.

Flint never did respond to my "Its not that bad" post. Wonder why.

-- R (riversoma@aol.com), July 22, 1999.

I have long strongly suspected that the brighter pollytrolls that post on these forums are actually closet GIs (doing serious preps on the QT) who simply post DWGI illogic and ad hom attacks as part of a deliberate and ethically criminal policy to discourage others from preparing in time. This would be motivated purely and simply to keep survival item supply prices low and availability high as long as possible to aid their own preparation activities. This data on Flint prepping while still an active pollytroll is an indication that he is one of these. Think he's at risk for revenge from someone who listened to him ("do as I say, not as I do"), doesn't prep, somehow but barely makes it (not neccessarily his wife & kids, though) thru a 9+ Y2K, and one day manages to find where Flint lives (and under what name, current appearance, etc.)?


-- MinnesotaSmith (y2ksafeminnesota@hotmail.com), July 22, 1999.

I think it unfair to label Flint as a Polly Troll. Some doomers can't acknowledge that there is a wide middle ground between BITR and TEOTWAWKI. Bruce Webster, author of the 1-10 scale for rating Y2K impacts, predicts a less than 5% chance for any impact in the USA over an 8 or in other words a 95% probability that Y2K in the US will be a 7 or less (defined by Bruce as 1-2 months of serious infrastructure disruption). Does that make Bruce a polly troll - I think not.

A while back on "a" 's poll, Flint posted:

BITR: 30% Recession: 50% Depression: 20%

While I am slightly more pessimistic than Flint's projection above, I expect a 0% chance for BITR, Flint acknowledges a 20% probability for a depression. This is not consistent with a Polly point of view.

-- Bill P (porterwn@one.net), July 22, 1999.


You are quite correct about perspective. I believe it's easier to take a more objective and analytical view of y2k once you've done everything you feel you can to prepare for it. If my situation were more vulnerable, I'd be taking steps (as I already did) to reduce my exposure. But whatever y2k brings won't change no matter what I do personally.

I don't think you're correct in saying that I'm trying to convince people that everything will be OK. I have posted my expectations, and even you agreed that what they described was far from OK. To me, there's a big difference between a recession (as I predicted) and being 'toast' if you're within 5 miles of a 7-11 (as your hero states).

Again I insist that people need to be educated into preparing, and it's not necessary to panic or trick people into preparing. The indications that y2k can easily cause big problems is perfectly clear, and I've never denied it. How big those problems will be (as opposed to can be) remains indeterminate.

-- Flint (flintc@mindspring.com), July 22, 1999.

Gee golly wilickers..thank ya Mr. Flint. You be sure to tell us once you've reached the point to be able to determine we are fawked, will ya? Of course, we'll be completely out of time to do anything about it other than to bend over a chair and hand you a can of Vaseline. YUP, ho, ho.

-- Will continue (farming@home.com), July 22, 1999.

Will Continue,

*clap* *clap*


-- Thomas G. Hale (hale.tg@att.net), July 23, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ