y2k Community Conversation - what to ask?greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
I plan to attend the y2k Community Conversation which is being held in Austin, TX tomorrow. (LBJ Library, 10 am to noon, if you want to go too) I am wondering what you think would be good to ask. I don't live in Austin but have the same electric provider, TXU.
I'm looking for *the* question that might possibly provoke a truthful answer.
(If you wish to email me privately remove the antispam X.)
-- Mommacares (harringtondesignX@earthlink.net), July 09, 1999
If they start getting sketchy about personal preps, ask 'em:
WHY IS IT O.K. FOR GOVT., BUSINESS, ORGANIZATIONS, ETC. TO MAKE CONTINGENCY PLANS, BUT NOT INDIVIDUALS, COMMUNITIES OR CHURCHES?!?
I can't think of an logical answer. It's O.K. for them to plan for "supply chain" failure or "utility" failures, but not us. Makes no sense.
-- Jim (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 09, 1999.
Please read this article. (Someone please provide a link?)
It contains all you need to know.
-- we (email@example.com), July 09, 1999.
-- Mike Lang (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 09, 1999.
1. What is the US Government's planned response if bank runs really are serious?
2. What is the Governments contingency plan if imports of foreign oil falls in half, or stops completely, due to local disruptions in poorly-prepared countries such as Saudi Arabia, Venezuala, and Mexico?
3. Is the INS prepared for potentially massive numbers of refugees streaming across the border from Mexico if Mexico has a melt-down in their economy due to Y2K?
4. What is the status of the IRS? No one seems to be reporting this.
5. Does that fact that vacation leave for all of the FBI agents has been cancelled indicate that things may be worse then we think?
6. If there are disruptions in the national power grid, will power be diverted from small cities and municipalities to support the big cities?
7. It's been recently reported that over 130 different computer viruses have been detected that are programmed to activate on midnight of the rollover. Has the US Government assessed the possible impact of this "cyberattack"?
Bob, Ph.D. Nuclear
-- bob (email@example.com), July 09, 1999.
Thank you all. I will post my observations afterwards.
-- Mommacares (harringtondesignX@earthlink.net), July 10, 1999.
I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to post here before you went to the community conversation. I would love to go to one where Mr. Koskinen was present. I would ask him why we should believe anything he says and I would also ask him for third party verification of everything he claims. (I would also pose this question to anyone else at the meeting who claims things will be OK).
-- Clyde (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 10, 1999.