Important Water Hazard Info : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

There is a risk to any POE (Point Of Entry) water treatment systems that include fiberglass tanks. Most common are water softeners. These tanks are designed to handle pressure internally, but fail quickly and dramatically if subjected to a vacuum. Large vertical splits in the sides of these tanks will appear. If interruptions to water supplies occur- it is likely that some homes will have their supply line under partial vacuum. This can occur if there are main breaks, some pumps on with some off, fire hydrants opened etc. If your home has such tanks- it would be wise to consider installing a vacuum breaker before the equipment. This is simple and inexpensive. Also consider installing a manual by-pass valve arrangement to isolate the tanks if need arise. Sporadic water pressure may be the best some areas can hope for- and not being able to take advantage of water when it's available (not to mention the flooding in your home) would not make your situation any better. Perhaps another item to add to your last minute "to do" list before the roll over.

-- Steve Felling (, June 23, 1999


What about your hot water tank? Is it subject to this also? I would think not having just installed one recently in my house. I nearly completly emptied it by draining to make it lighter, but it already had a hole in it. Is my assumption right?

-- Johnny (JLJTM@BELLSOUTH.NET), June 23, 1999.

Johnny- I think not- unless it weakened over time due to corrosion. I am not a plumber- but have worked with water purification equipment for 25 years. I suspect a water heater would likely buckle inward at worst- and not necessarily leak if pressure were reapplied. Regardless of the relative likelhood of any particular type of equipment failing- some precaution would seem prudent. With heightened probability of water supply interruptions looming- inexpensive solutions make sense to me.

-- Steve Felling (, June 23, 1999.

Couldn't you just shut off the water at the HWT? Then when you know the water is on open it and let it fill up. Do you know anything about those inflatable balls to stop up your sewage line with so you won't get a backup? I've only checked three places and haven't found on yet. I think their called plumbers helpers?

-- Johnny (JLJTM@BELLSOUTH.NET), June 23, 1999.

what about a mini-water resevoir in your yard? i have ponds but if things are so desperate. at least i,ve got a source of water.if y2k is a 9-10. and you can,t store 1000s of gals. indoors. wouldn,t a back-up'plastic-lined;water supply-beat no-water??

-- al-d. (CATT@ZIANET.COM), June 23, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ