great tool for small "tabletop" still life and product photography : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

This is really a mention of a discovery rather than a question, Last week I had to shoot some gold and sterling silver jewelry for a new client. After futzing around with tiny little reflector cards and fighting hot spots and building flatsided tents I discovered a new (to me anyway) tool called the "Plume Cocoon". This is a semi rigid tent that zips togethe. The only flat surface in the thing is the floor, all the other surfaces including the backwall (which forms a seamless cove) are curved. The obloid curved sidewalls make varying the lighting effects, placement and shape of highlights easy. The light quality is very smooth. The thing is small enough and light enough to use on location or in the field. I am not sure if this the appropriate place to mention this product, but it is making my life much easier. BTW: I am not being paid or compensated in any way for writing this, nor am I a dealer. I just thought it might be of interest to some like minded photographers . The URL for this product is:

-- Ellis Vener (, May 12, 1999


Ellis! My Man! I can't believe your/my timing! A client just presented me with the digital camera they want me to use to photograph their catalog of trickets! This gizmo looks pixel-perfect! ha! It ain't L-Format but it works for me! thanks!...t

-- tom meyer (, May 20, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ