(Legal ) Deeds and Drivers Licenses

greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

Several months ago ago I remember a couple of more or less unrelated posts but now I have gotten an interest in both. I haven't found them in the archive yet so can someone can help with either the location or information.

One post related to a more secure type of deed for your home. I understood it to mean that a totally owned home could not be taken from you for any reason whatsoever? I've just paid my mortgage off and I think that's a nice sounding feature. I'd like to know how its done.

In the same vein, another post mentioned a U.S.(?) drivers license. One that is perhaps issued by the Federal Government and not by any particular state. Is there such an animal?

TIA for any help with these.


-- Floyd Baker (fbaker@wzrd.com), April 22, 1999


I can't help you with the deed info, and I believe that a US driver's license used to be issued only to diplomatic and military personnel and their immediate families.

You can find out about international driver's licenses at:




Good luck.

-- LP (soldog@hotmail.com), April 22, 1999.

The first question is about what has been known in American history as "Allodial Title." The various land rushes in our history fell into this category, and at the very beginning of this country all private land was held this way. However, today virtually no land is held this way unless inherited by three or four generations since the Land Rush and Homesteading Act. As far as I know there is no way of moving current property back into this old form of title. I know there is a lot of interest among "Patriot" groups about doing this and maybe some have actually done it, but I kind of doubt it. You are just a serf on the Lord's manor. If y2k bites hard maybe radical decentralization will bring this back, but not unless the current system is pulverized.

About the National or Federal Driver's license I don't think it exists -- yet. You probably read a thread that was warning about it since it is exactly what the feds would like in the long run. The feds would love to direct the DL's directly instead of allowing the states their own autonomy and control. Again, there are people who live without licenses and I, personally wouldn't put that on my preparation list for y2k: I don't think a piece of laminated paper is going to be worth that much if y2k>8 if you know what I mean

-- Jim the Window Washer (Rational@man.com), April 22, 1999.

I do know a bit about allodial title, having researched some about it for more than a decade. There is some summary information posted on our website. Try: http://www.snowcrest.net/siskfarm/R3allod.html http://www.snowcrest.net/siskfarm/amlndaq.html There are various methods offered by many that claim to secure allodial title. I have not heard on any that have been accepted or recognized by the Courts in a dispute over property taxes etc. One such method involves getting a certified copy of the original land patent on your place from the BLM, then recording it. I understand that the recorder's offices in many areas refuse to record the document.

What I would suggest considering is filing a "homestead." California, for instance, has a "homestead" claim one can file that is recognized. It will shelter (amount may have changed since I did it) $20,000 for a single person and $40,000 for a head of household from debts (other than taxes or mechanics leins or prior incurred debt.) I imagine other States have a similar document. I found the forms at my local stationery store, completed them and had the signature notarized and recorded them. I would imagine, however, that any lender you may subsequently arrange a mortgage from would be queasy about lending unless you removed it.

-- marsh (siskfarm@snowcrest.net), April 22, 1999.

I have acquaintances in the states' rights movement. There are many people driving around with documents granting them "rights" to drive that are not associated with local DMV,...some of them are successful in courts when they get pulled over. If TSHTF, I am not going to worry about what "government agency" has "jurisdiction".I'm going to drive if vehicle and fuel are available....it might be noted that most state departments of motor vehicles are underwritten by a "federal" organization,...I have heard it is the IRS, ...as is the California State Franchise Tax Board...California State Property tax collectors are underwritten by the IRS as well. key word=franchise.

My next door neighbors have California Homestead papers filed, and I intend to do it next week...cheap filing fee. My 75 year old neighbor lady insists I do it. LOL

-- Donna Barthuley (moment@pacbell.net), April 22, 1999.

Thanks for the info Marsh

I think the problem is that the allodial title from long ago is not compatible with the new system of courts/law/taxation. Until that is out of the way, we can't do a whole lot. Another option that just came to me is pretty well-known. A lot of people hold all their property in trusts so as not to own any property. A trust as an organization holds and so no judgment can be rendered confiscating the property. Also, when the person dies, no inheritance due, since the trust owns the property instead of the person. Just have to work it out with the heirs to continue the status.

A lot to think about.

-- Jim the Window Washer (Rational@man.com), April 22, 1999.

I've studied allodial titles and pure trusts in the past. Quite frankly I'm a little rusty on the subject. But, I also would say that the way to go today is the "Pure Trust". I think you can get it done for about $700-$800. I will look around here for some more info for you.

-- WebRNot (webrnot@ncap13k.com), April 23, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ