mirror damping foam for AE-1

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Canon FD : One Thread

Hi, everyone, I need to replace the mirror foam for my Canon AE-1. I live in Lawrence (a small town in Kansas), and can not find a repair shop here. I also tried find the replacement foam from the website of Fargo Enterprises, seems I could not find any foam there from their online catalog.(I am not familar with their website, maybe I am not searching it the right way... ). Could anybody give me a suggestion about the right place to get the replacement material, and, if I want to fix it by myself, what is the most important thing to know. thanks.

-- Wensheng He (hews@engr.ukans.edu), April 21, 1999


Wensheng, Fargo is the place. It isn't the easiest to find on their page. I just ordered a selection of foam from them. Call them at 1-800-359- 2878. I think that the 2mm foam (#LB2MM) is a good match for the mirror bumper. You should also check the foam that seals your camera back. Double check with fargo for proper foam type/thickness for your camera; they may have a suggestion. (The metric size foam is "open cell" type, english measures like 3/32 inch are "closed cell".) I had a camera re-foamed "professionally". He used open cell foam for the mirror bumper (seems to be 2mm) and closed cell foam for the camera back (seems to be 3/32 inch). Good luck, Karl

-- Karl Wessendorf (karl.wessendorf@usa.xerox.com), May 10, 1999.

At Fargo look for Light Baffles. That is what the foam is called. They also sell kits of a piece of each thickness foam.

-- Terry Carraway (TCarraway@compuserve.com), May 11, 1999.

Wensheng, If you have not repaired your camera yet, or have other problems in the future, there is a very good repair shop about 20 miles west of you on highway 24 in Topeka. I got the foam and light seals replaced on my AE1 for about $15.00, and on other repairs he has free estimates.

-- Kirby Chilton (kirbyc@prodigy.net), June 26, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ