Y2K compliance by state - CIO Magazine survey

greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread


CIO Magazine in its April 1 issue has the results from a survey it did with states on their Y2K compliance. Listed for each state are the year remediation began, proposed date of completion, percentage of work done by December 31, 1998, and the size of each state's Y2K budget.

Well worth a look.

-- Kevin (mixesmusic@worldnet.att.net), April 06, 1999


North Carolinians--didn't I read somewhere that NC was ahead of the pack? Not according to this chart--it's one of the worst. Started 1997, 37% complete as of December 31, 1998, completion date March 31, 1998. What's wrong with this picture?

-- Old Git (anon@spamproblems.com), April 06, 1999.

Thanks Kevin. According to the chart, the Free State of Pennsylvania was 100% done as of 12/98. I don't believe that it is actually 100%, but Gov. Tom Ridge has been ahead of the pack.

-- Rob Michaels (sonofdust@com.net), April 06, 1999.

Nebraska claims to be 100% completed. That's great if it is true. Unfortunatly, I don't live there. Alabama is 21% complete and plan to be finished June 30,99! That's just around the corner! Thankful that I don't live there either. ~;^)

-- shellie (shellie01@hotmail.com), April 06, 1999.

Old Git,

The completion date for NC says it is March31,1999 not 1998. But yes, I thought they were more complete than that too.

-- shellie (shellie01@hotmail.com), April 06, 1999.

Go back and look at Pennsylvania again,,,,then look at Oregon. Think Oregon has that many more 'puters than pencil-whip-it? Also look at California,,,didn't I read somewhere that they got caught,,uhhmmm,,"fudgeing" the numbers a few weeks ago?

-- CT (ct@no.yr), April 06, 1999.

Well, I guess the state of Georgia has put lie to the fact that money spent means progress. The biggest budget listed, and there are only two states behind them, Alabama and Lousiana. Hmmmm. Better buy some more of everything!

-- (stuck@georgia.needshelp), April 06, 1999.

Once again my homestate of South Carolina has come in dead last...the only one of the 50 states that did not start until 1998. As Milne would say, Bye Bye SC.

-- a (a@a.a), April 06, 1999.


looks fairly on target to me, except i don't know if massachusetts is actually that far along. the rest more or less fall into line with what i've read...

-- Drew Parkhill/CBN News (y2k@cbn.org), April 06, 1999.

Shellie, thanks, sorry--slip of the finger. Broke out in a sweat reading the statistics! Thing is, if NC started in 1997 and they're only 37% complete by end of 1998, how can they be 100% complete by March 31, 1999? This means NC did 37% of the work within anywhere from 13 to 23 months and will do the remaining 63% in 3 months. That's what's wrong with this picture!

-- Old Git (anon@spamproblems.com), April 07, 1999.

Old Git:

You can get more info on North Carolina at www.year200.nc.us.

As of 2/28/99, the state reports these numbers for their mission critical systems:

680 - total systems 24 - in design 54 - in coding 128 - in testing 435 - complete (implemented??? don't know)

This indicated 64% complete.

Also see the Steering Committee findings as of March 22 at:


It requires Adobe Acrobat...can't do a cut and paste. It's contents do not inspire much confidence.

Good Luck

R. from Charlotte, buying more beans.

-- Roland (nottelling@nowhere.com), April 07, 1999.

Also, www.nasire.org has state by state information. It is far more detailed and more up to date.


-- Roland (nottelling@nowhere.com), April 07, 1999.

Old git -

Sorry, that's obviously www.year2000.state.nc.us


-- Roland (nottelling@nowhere.com), April 07, 1999.

At least you know where your state stands. I live in one of the two states that "declined" to share the information. :(

One good thing, it appears that I am way ahead of my state in preps.

-- (cannot-say@this.time), April 07, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ