Starting an informal club? : LUSENET : Photography Singapore : One Thread

Anybody out there interested in TLRs? Would anyone like to start a gathering of this sort?

-- Paul Chuah (, February 19, 1999


what's a TLR? Can u elaborate more on any ideas u might have?

-- Valerie Law (, July 13, 1999.

Thanks for responding, Val. I thought this thread has died for good.

Anyway TLR stands for Twin Lens Reflex. A popular press camera in the 50s and 60s era. Has two lenses; mounted one on top of the other. Top lens for viewing and composition, bottom lens for taking. Uses waist level viewing which is interchangeable for a pentaprism for eyelevel viewing. Most of it comes in medium format version, some in the large format and one in 35mm format. Can be found selling in used camera stores. Brands are mainly from Rollei which they call Rolleiflex or Rolleicord. Yashica, Konica, Olympus, Minolta and Mamiya use to make them. The ones that are still in current production are Seagull and in very limited quantities, Rollei.

Check these sites out.

Hope you're interested. Do let me know.

Best Wishes.

-- Paul Chuah (, July 13, 1999.

I am very interested in TLR's. I am currently contemplating entering the much discussed medium format space. (Just did not want to make the jump right to the large format.) I just happend to pick up a November Shutterbug - and it had a good article on the "new? " Seagull format. So, I guess the only question is to begin with the 4b1 (loooks like you get get new for $100) or go for the gold (the 107 collectors.).... Looks like my new birthday present ! I have been shooting 34MM on canon systems for a number of years, and just want to try something differnet...

-- tom (, October 20, 2002.

I found a place with folks keen in medium format as well as large format:

See you there, you will be surprised.

-- Wen Li (, April 27, 2004.

The guys at are pretty interested in this area.

-- Marky (, May 16, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ