Grafmatic models : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

From reading about Grafmatic holders at, I understand that there are two different types of Grafmatic holders which were produced. One style would fit any standard "Graflok" type back (pretty much all 4x5 cameras produced today), and the other would only fit "Graflex" backs (on certain models of Graflex produced cameras).

Aside from physically trying to see if it will fit, are there any markings on the holders which would easily differentiate the two models (model numbers, color, etc)?

-- Larry Huppert (, January 29, 1999


non-Graflok, the spring-back casting which holds the ground glass is held in place by two Phillips head screws, and it takes a screw- driver to remove the casting. this also has a plane ground glass.

-- David Clark (, January 29, 1999.

"Graflex" back cameras were the large single lens reflex cameras. They used holders that had a slot at the end of the holder for a light trap. They will NOT work on the now-standard "Graphic" and/or "Graflok" (International) backs. These have the slot in the camera back, and a ridge on the holder. Just about any holder you buy nowadays is a Graphic style. You won't find the graflex back on anything but the old "lunch box" with maybe a few rare exceptions.

-- Tony Brent (, January 30, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ