Strive for Perfection...OR ELSE!greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread
IF 99.9 PERCENT IS GOOD ENOUGH, THEN......
* Two million documents will be lost by the IRS this year.
* 811,000 faulty rolls of 35mm film will be loaded this year.
* 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank accounts in the next 60 minutes
* 1,314 phone calls will be misplaced by tlecommunication services every minute.
* 12 babies will be given to the wrong parents each day.
* 268,500 defective tires will be shipped this year.
* 14,208 defective personal computers will be shipped this year.
* 103,260 income tax returns will be processed incorrectly this year.
* 2,488,200 books will be shipped in the next 12 months with the wrong cover.
* 5,517,200 cases of soft drinks produced in the next 12 months will be flatter than a bad tire.
* Two plane landings daily at O'Hare International will be unsafe.
* 3,056 copies of tomorrow's Wall Street Journal will be missing one of the three sections.
* 18,322 pieces of mail will be mishandled in the next hour.
* 291 pacemaker operations will be performed incorrectly this year.
* 880,000 credit cards in circulation will turn out to have incorrect cardholder information on their magnetic strips.
* $9,690 will be spent today, tomorrow, next Thursday and every day in the future on defective, often unsafe sporting equipment.
* 55 malfunctioning automatic teller machines will be installed in the next 12 months.
* 20,000 incorrect drug prescriptions will be written in the next 12 months.
* 114,500 mismatched pairs of shoes will be shipped this year.
* $761,900 will be spent in the next 12 months on tapes and CDs that won't play.
* 107 incorrect medical procedures will be performed by the end of the day today.
* 315 entries in Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language will turn out to be misspelled.
-- Bertha D. Blues (firstname.lastname@example.org), January 24, 1999
That certanly gives us perspective. Maybe some of those things on the list are totally not related to computers... but think how many are!
-- (email@example.com), January 24, 1999.