Homemade batteries? Time for another look.

greenspun.com : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

I have a 1917 book of knowledge with instructions on how to make a homemade battery. Now when homemade batteries were first demonstrated everything electrical needed large amounts of current to function and such batteries were only toys to illustrate basic electrical principals, but now with microcircuitry I have a 9 band short wave radio which will run for a week off two double AA batteries (Radio Shack) It doesnt take much juice to run some stuff, Is it possible that homemade batteries could generate enough to supply MODERN low wattage electronic items? Does this deserve another look?

-- Ann Fisher (zyax55b@prodigy.com), December 27, 1998


Ann, can you post instructions?

-- Arthur Rambo (buriedtreasure@webtv.net), December 27, 1998.


Absolutely! Excellent thought. Tell us more.


-- Floyd Baker (fbaker@wzrd.com), December 27, 1998.

Ann any old ideas that can be put to good use are very much appreciated. We are stocking up on NiCads and purchased a top of the line solar charger. We also may be looking at a small solar charger soon. Just enough to run a couple of lights, DC TV and hopefully our electric wheat grinder. Just some of the smaller things to add cheer to otherwise dark nights.

-- Ed (ed@terraworld.net), December 27, 1998.

I know you can also use a lemon to get some (electric) juice but that only works in season. :-)

They used to take bottles of acid out to the signal bouyes in the harbor to recharge the batteries. That's all it took. New acid.

Imagine making batteries using *large* hunks of carbon, maybe dynamo brushes, and some large lead plates (remoulded sinkers) submurged in an acid that could be easily produced. Those batteries would be large current suppliers that could be kept going for long periods by replacing each part as needed. There life could probably be extended infinately longer by pulling the electrodes out when not in use. Is it possible?? Don't know what kind of acid it takes or how it is made. What other materials and methods are used?

Ann?? :-)


-- Floyd Baker (fbaker@wzrd.com), December 27, 1998.

Be careful if you dispose of any spent chemicals, esp. those containing metallic salts, double esp. those containing lead salts. This stuff IS hazardous - no fooling and none of the EPA BS involved. Some of these types of salts will enter plants and make them poisonous too. Be very careful and don't pass the problem down stream by pouring into a creek or contamination of ground water. When you are talking about chemicals that require only a fraction of a teaspoonful to hurt or kill you - exercise caution.

Better yet, use zinc and copper instead of lead. They still aren't good for you, but not nearly as bad as lead.

BTW-any acidic reaction with a metal produces metallic salts.

-- Paul Davis (davisp1953@yahoo.com), December 28, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ