lens for wide angle photography

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I recently purchased a used Sinar F1 that has a standard bellows. I can't seem to fide out what is the shortest lens I can use with the standard bellows. The manual states the wide angle bellows s for 75mm to 135mm, but does not state the minimum for the standard bellows. I was considering a 90mm lens. Should I consider a recessed lens board? Thanks for any help.

-- Chet Wright (chetwr@zianet.com), November 29, 1998


I use a 90mm Super Angulon with my Sinar F and use the bag bellows. The regular bellows was just too tight! I would prefer the bag bellows to a recessed board for two reasons: 1 - the recessed board doesn't buy you a whole lot of space, so the movements will still be difficult and 2 - the recessed board makes adjustments a royal pain.

-- Brock Nanson (brock@direct.ca), November 29, 1998.

I've never owned, used, or seen a SINAR except in photos. With that in mind here's my annecdotal $.02.

The easiest thing to do is to remove the lensboard and squash the critter as flat as you can with the movements yourself and then measure by running a ruler or finely graduated carpenters rule or other similar device back into the camera until it touches the GG. Bingo. You may have to take into account the way the camera is built and how lensboards are made, but, that'll get you close.

According to B&H's Professional Photo Sourcebook available from them for free, an F1 w/standard bellows will give you a minimum 1.5 inches or 38 mm extension. Dat's plenty for a 90 mm. Don't know how much movement you'd get that way though.

-- Sean yates (yatescats@yahoo.com), November 29, 1998.

OK....Since I need the wide angle bellows, should I consider a shorter lens? I use a 24mm in 35mm format and would like even more wide angle than that. I've read all the discussion concerning light falloff and vignetting, and limited movements. I am concerned about image circle and don't wish to restrict movements if possible. However getting setup to do LF is expensive (including darkroom) and would like to buy just one lens to start with. I do outdoor abstract photography. I appreciate the replies, Chet

-- Chet Wright (chetwr@zianet.com), November 29, 1998.

Chet, Since you want something wider than the 24mm you use for 35mm photography I suggest the 65mm focal length. This is equivalent to about a 21mm or 20mm lens for a 35mm system. The steps down after that are 58mm, 55mm, 47mm and 45mm. Rodenstock also makes a 35mm APO Grandagon that will not quite cover 4x5.

My widest angle lens experience has been with a 47mm f/5.6 Super Angulon XL. It was like shooting with a 14mm rectilinear (non fisheye) lens. You will need a recessed board as well as a bag bellows for your Sinar once you start getting below 75mm (equivalent to a 24mm).

-- Ellis (evphoto@insync.net), December 01, 1998.

Recessed lens boards are painful to use. Definitely the bag bellows is nice on Sinar.

-- Philip Greenspun (philg@mit.edu), December 02, 1998.

Chet...The bag bellows allows you to physically move the front and rear standards without the bellows physically or optically restricting the movement. The shorter the lens focal length, the closer the rear element of the lens is to the film..when focused @ infinity..and even closer when focused closer. On my old Toyo view..I used to shoot interiors with a 90 or 75 and use a standard bellows. I could get away with this because I used a recessed lens board and because of my subject matter required limited front and rear standard movement. On my Sinar I always use the small bag with my 90 and the bigger bag with my 65. Sometimes I use the small bag with my 150 when I'm focused close and am using a certain degree of front and/or rear standars swing or tilt. It's a matter of convenience.

-- Charles Matter (cmatter@riag.com), December 07, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ