Submitting your Web Site :)greenspun.com : LUSENET : Poesie d'Orient : One Thread
Now that you have a killer site, you want to let everyone know where it is. There are many ways to do this:
- Search Engines - These are sites that record your site information in their databases and then if someone searches for a specific keyword, and that keyword is found on your homepage, then you will be displayed on the results page. Some of these are Infoseek & Lycos. Go to their site, click on the add URL button, and fill out the information. This will send out a web spider to go to your site and record the information on your page into their databases.
- Web Page Directories - These directories list homepages by categories. Examples are Yahoo & Big Yellow. To list your site here, still go to the site and click on the add URL button. You may have more information to fill out, but it is needed to place you in the right spot.
- Submission Sites - These sites will ask for your information once and then submit that information to multiple search engines & directories at the same time. This is a faster way to saturate the web with your site, but isn't as accurate as doing it manually for each one. One of these sites is Submit-It.
- Submission Services - There are many places or companies that offer to submit your site to 100's of search engines & directories for a small fee. This is the most effective way to submit your site and is always worth the money. Most of these provide a list of sites you have been submitted to and when. One place that can do this is AAA Internet Promotions.
- Newsgroups - Anytime you have a new site, it's a good idea to jump on your news program and search for related newsgroups. Post a small note with the details on your site. This posing will be deleted after a week or so, but it's a good way to get the work out.
Some search engines search the first 250 words of your HTML page so it is a good idea to put in keywords or a description of your site into you web page. If you would like to do this, but don't want this information visible, put these two META commands in your HEAD tags:
<HEAD>By doing this on your homepage (index.html) you can get "seen" more by the search engines and more people will hit your site.
<TITLE>Your Web Page Title</TITLE>
<META NAME="description" Content="Put your web site description here.">
<META NAME="keywords" Content="Put all your keywords here, separated by commas.">
-- (email@example.com), October 23, 1998