UV light sources for alternative processes

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I am looking for info on the best ways to put together a repeatable and dependable UV light source for contact printing carbon & platinum images so I don't have to rely on the sun. Anyone out there with a solid address for info or experience in making one that can give some information on this? I would like to build it in a cabinet or such that can be closed up and will accept prints & negs up to 20x24 for contact printing.

-- Dan Smith (shooter@brigham.net), September 30, 1998


Sorry I can contribute an answer. Instead I have a question. Where can I find out how to do the kind of printing you are doing with carbon and platinum images in contact frames. Thanks.

-- david clark (doc@ellensburg.com), October 01, 1998.

Dan, Contact the following outfit and ask them to send you a copy of their catalogue/manual:

The Palladio Company, Inc., #2400, 200 Boston Avenue, Medford, Ma. 02155, 800-628-9618. (no e-mail, website that I know of).

Their free catalogue/manual has extremely detailed plans for building and using UV light sources for alternative printing materials. They sell the UV light bulbs, in the sizes you will need, as well as enlarging film, developers and chemicals for alternative processes, and pre-coated papers.

Their manual also has the best instructional information on negative enlargement techniques I've seen anywhere. A wealth of information.

Good luck, Sergio.

-- Sergio Ortega (s.ortega@worldnet.att.net), October 01, 1998.

The Pallidio Company is a good source of information and material. There is also a new book out called "The New Platinum Print" by Richard Sullivan and Carl Weese. Very good book on platinum/palldium printing. The have a chapter on how to build your own light source which you could use to build in the cabinet.

-- Michael Wellman (wellman@flash.net), October 01, 1998.

If you can come by one at an auction or other source, a lithographer's plate burner will have a high intensity mercury vapor lamp that will expose your materials. They will also have a vacuum frame that will give good contact for your negatives, and allow you to pin register if needed.They will also have a timer included.

The NuArc company made a line of small self contained units that had a glass frame about 14 x 17 or so, all in a cabinet about the size of a large picnic cooler.

There are other brands as well.

You might visit some print shops in your area and ask if they have one they might want to sell, or if they know who does, or of an equipment dealer who might have some bargains.

-- Tony Brent (ajbrent@mich.com), October 01, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ