Lens-mounted lens hoods for LF?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I'm trying to find a practical bellows-style lens hood for mounting on the lenses of LF cameras. I'm considering the Lee that sells for about $100 (plus $40-70 for a lens thread adaptor ring); it's on page 386 of the big new B&H Sourcebook (cat #LELH or LELHFS).

Any experience with this or other lens-mounted hoods for LF? (They have to be adaptable to different lenses, of course). I've done the compendium thing for years and want something easier to set up (and effective for 360 degrees around the lens, not just above it), so I'm not interested in the many available camera-mounted lens hoods....

Thanks in advance.

-- Bill Daily (WRDaily@aol.com), June 10, 1998


Have you looked at the cousins to the Lee system: the Sinar and the Hightech? The Sinar is a 3 slot filter holder that has 3 rigid tubes that snap together for different focal lengths, The tubes in turn snap into the front of the filter holder. And of course there are different adapters for different diameters of lenses. I believe there are also three diffrent sizes of rear element adapters. The Hightech is similar except that the filter holder design(s) are different.

-- Ellis Vener (evphoto@insync.net), June 10, 1998.

I had the Lee but returned it. The standard hood/ holder didn't work well with WA lenses, with a 75mm even push all the way back and locked it would vignette, and forget about movements. I understand from a reply I received on rec.photo.large format that Lee had announced a WA version of their hood. BTW the Lee filters are very nice but expensive.

Hope this helps. Bob

-- Bob Jensen (greatpix@home.com), June 13, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ