Correcting underdevelopped film : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I have a T-Max 400 negative that is underex and underdev that I need to try to salvage. Is there something I can use to give the neg some more density, a bit like selenium toner does to prints (perhaps more than that) ? Thanks a lot!

-- Frederic Jean (, May 19, 1998


Selenium tone the negative.

-- Dan Smith (, May 21, 1998.

Frederic, Try either of the following: Formulary Chromium Intensifier for Negatives, Cat# 05-0065, or Formulary Silver Intensifier for Negatives, Cat#s 05-0070/05-0080. You can get these from: Photographers' Formulary, 800-922-5255, P.O. Box 950, Condon, Montana 59826.

I have not used these with T-Max 400 negatives. I have used them with other B&W films. They do work well with underdeveloped negatives, possibly with underexposed ones as well.

To what extent the intensification process works on underexposure vs. underdevelopment is not quite clear in my own mind. Both conditions can exist simultaneously. But, it would seem logical that if the "information" is not exposed onto the film in the first place, nothing you can do will extract density, or intensify silver deposits, not already there. Try it, but don't count on any miracles.

I've had best results with the Formulary Silver Intensifier. Basically, the intensifier deposits additional silver on an underdeveloped negative. The amount of intensification is somewhat proportional to the amount of silver originally present in the negative. You can repeat the process as often as necessary. It works in room light, so you can judge the degree of intensification. It seems to be permanent.

Good luck, Sergio.

-- Sergio Ortega (s.ortega@worldnet.att.netg), May 24, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ