tripod adapter : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I need to get an adapter for a tripod that has the larger European type thread to fit a camera that has the smaller American type thread. Is there anything commercially available or will I have to go to a machinist? I don't want to alter the tripod or the camera.

-- Rich Lahrson (, January 28, 1998


If I understand correctly,the tripod screw is the larger (3/8") size, and the socket in the camera is the smaller (1/4") size. Most adaptors that I've seen work in the reverse direction. Rather than trying to find an adaptor that works, you might want to consider simply replacing the tripod screw. Most tripod heads permit the screw to be removed and replaced easily, without having to make any permanent modifications.

-- Rob Rothman (, January 29, 1998.

The 3/8" to 1/4" or 1/4" to 3/8" adapters are readily available in all of my local camera shops here in Canberra (small capital of Australia with a population of 180,000), and there are also adapters for other wierd sizes. They seems to be made by HAMA (Germany?) and cost less than $5.

-- Bruce Z. LI (, February 06, 1998.

All your troubles are over when you buy a LINHOF quickfix II Another thing that will be solved is the clumsy fumbling around when putting the camera on the pod

Regards, JohnD

-- WFPA (, March 18, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ