Tape for film holder loading flap

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Does anyone know where to get replacement black tape for the loading flaps of large format film holders?

Black paper tape and cloth tape just doesn't inspire enough confidence in me to risk a shoot with it.

-- Daniel Wong (ewongdes@earthlink.net), December 12, 1997


Have you tried carpet tape?

-- Ron Hughes (rhcc@compuserve.com), February 10, 1998.

Gaffer's tape might also work. It's black, matte, and available from larger photo shops.

-- Tony Doucet (tdoucet@hydro.mb.ca), March 13, 1998.

When I bought gaffers tape (not duct tape) in the late 80's, I remember that I had to buy this large roll of tape and that it cost something like $35 (or more). I'm not sure you want to buy a full roll to tape up a handful of film holders.

What about duct tape, which is much less expensive and available in hardware stores? Or even a call to 3M to find out what kinds of specialty tapes they make (or which ones give the greatest security).

-- Stuart Goldstein (satgre@worldnet.att.net), March 13, 1998.

I'm not sure that gaffer tape would be a good choice. The roll that I have (from Calumet) is black on the outside, but the inner (adhesive) side is light gray.

-- Rob Rothman (rrothman@riag.com), March 16, 1998.

The tape that I have used with good results is "Dennison's" gummed cloth mending tape. This tape is made for mending book covers and alike. The no. 4 size is 3/4in. wide and comes in black. The tape must be wetted for use, if you cut it to length and prefold it before wetting it can be put on right over the old tape. Check art supply outlets or larger craft shops. Or if there are still there you might try contacting the Dennison Mfg. Co. in Framingham Mass.

-- Ron Squires (rrs13440@aol.com), March 26, 1998.

3M used to make a tape for repairing enlarger bellows. As I recall it was about 1/2 or 1/4 wide and black on both sides. It didn't have the thickness and strength of gaff tape, but its alleged purpose was to prevent light leaks. The core of the roll I have left is labeled "core series 2-0300" Scotch Brand Tape 3M. I'd swear I saw it listed in a catalog somewhere. If I find it I'll repost.

On a related note, I have successfully "patched" leaky darkslides with electricians tape.

-- Sean yates (yatescats@yahoo.com), December 04, 1998.

O.K., thought I'd remember. NOT that I advocate using these guys, but Porter's of Iowa 1-800 553 2001 sells "Black Photographic Tape" a 1/2" by 60 yard roll goes for 8.95 + S. & H. Don't know how good it is though.

-- Sean yates (yatescats@yahoo.com), December 04, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ