Survey tripods for LF?? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Hey, I've heard of some people using survey tripods for bigger cameras, with some work to adapt a head. Seems possible. Is it cheap and is it solid as well as somewhat light in wt. ? Anybody?

-- Tad Cornwell (, October 06, 1997


The tripod that you see on the picture of me in yellowstone is a Zone VI. See my review. It is basically a surveyor's tripod with a modification to take the photographer's pan-tilt head. If you buy it from Zone VI it is quite expensive, but I have heard that you can get the same for a fraction of the price in surveying supplies. Then you'll have to do the modif. It is nothing but lightweight !

-- Quang-Tuan Luong (, October 15, 1997.

Question: do these survey tripods have the same type of male thread used for cameras? I don't want the ajustable head but need the flexible legs.

-- Rich Lahrson (, January 29, 1998.

Survey tripods (called "legs" by surveyors) use a huge, 5/8" I think, hollow bolt -- not a normal tripod mount. It's easy to replace the bolt though. I ran the survey dept. for a large civil engineering firm many years ago and we had a dozen sets of worn out legs just sitting in the store-room gathering dust. I would have gladly given some to a photographer who wanted to restore them. Might be worth checking with your local surveyor.


-- Chris Kulczycki (, February 13, 1998.

Calumet is closing out the Zone Light weight tripods for $100 if anyone is interested. They told me that they only have a handful left.

-- unknown (unknown, December 18, 1998.

What ever happened to U. N. Owen and his co-hort Anon Y. Mouse?

-- Sean yates (, December 18, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ