202 hack test resultgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Roland MC-202 Hack : One Thread
some stuff I discovered :
1/ leader tone waaaaayyyy to short ! 2/ cant select midi channel 15 or 16 (14 is max for both internal or external sequence) 3/ if the midi notes are all 16/16th notes, the result line is just like a single slided note. (both "env" and "gate" mode on the 202) I mean : the note OFF isnt correctly recognized I assume !?? 4/ could you also recognise ACCENT via VELOCITY controller ??? Because on Cubase when you write a pattern the 'volume' of the note is set by velocity by default, and it suck to always change to volume controler !
btw it's a G*R*E*A*T program !
-- dj terrorist (email@example.com), March 10, 1997
Thanks for your report!
1) I will definitely make the leader tone longer in the next update. This was something I realized early on, but forgot to fix before the beta got released - other things took precedence! It's an easy fix though.
2) I'm not sure I exactly understand the problem - do you mean that on the pop up you don't even *see* the numbers 15 and/or 16, OR that when you try and process a file with MIDI information on channels 15 and/or 16, it doesn't work? Let me know, this may be a genuine bug if so...
3) I'll try this myself this weekend to see exactly how 202 Hack responds to the sequence you describe. Again, maybe another real bug.
4) I also thought of this during development, and realized that it *would* be a nice feature to implement. The coding will be a bit tougher, and I would also have to put in a user selectable parameter to decide above what velocity (0-127) accent should be "on", and below which it should be "off". Maybe for the next update, maybe for the one after....
5) Thanks! I really put my heart into this thing, and I'm glad you're getting some use out of it....
I'll keep you (and everyone else) informed about the above-mentioned updates/fixes.
-- Dan Nigrin (firstname.lastname@example.org), March 21, 1997.
1- Regarding not being able to see MIDI channels 15 and 16: I checked on an NT machine yesterday. Sure enough, when you click for the pop up menu of all the channels to come up, only "None" through "14" are displayed. If you move to the bottom of the list *without* the mouse button down, you will *not* see numbers 15 and 16. But *if* you hold the left mouse button down and move to the bottom of the list, 15 and 16 will scroll into view. That's Java for you! As far as I know, this will only affect PC users.
2- Re: "if the midi notes are all 16/16th notes, the result line is just like a single slided note. (both "env" and "gate" mode on the 202) I mean : the note OFF isnt correctly recognized I assume !??" This is really not a bug. If you program the same pattern manually into the 202 (step and gate the exact same number), no envelope retriggering happens. So 202 Hack is just giving you what you asked for! If you *do* want notes to be retriggered, you'll have to make the length of each note just slightly shorter....
-- Dan Nigrin (email@example.com), March 25, 1997.