British Midwife moving to Toronto, Canada : LUSENET : Doula.Com General Discussion : One Thread

Hello, I am about to embark on a 3yr full-time Midwife Degree in England, however I have plans to move to Toronto, Canada at the end of my course. Can you put me in touch with relevant organisations/agencies where I may seek future employment, experience or advice? Thank-you so much. Tammy.

-- Tamara Clarke (, March 02, 2003


Hi I am am afraid I have no advice for you but I am in the same situation. I too begin the midwifery degree course this year and hope to move to Torronto also. If you find any useful websites or get any helpful advice or info I would really appreciate it if you could pass it on. If I get any thing I will do the same. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Good luck in your studies. Yours sincerely Clare Nellist

-- clare nellist (, April 21, 2003.

Hello, I am a qualified midwife and have been working in Austria for one year. I, too, would like to get some more experience in a foreign country, preferably Canada, and am currently searching for information on how to go about moving there, getting working permission etc. I will let you know if I find anything useful and would appriciate it if you did the same for me. Thank you and good luck with your plans! Christine

-- Christine Grissemann (, August 18, 2003.

Hi! You can contact the Ontario College of Midwives for further information about working in Ontario as previously foreign trained midwife. The link is: You have to meet certain requirements in order to be admitted into a one year bridging program before you are allowed to practice. Here is more info: You can email me for more info if you want to. Hope this helps!


-- Selma (, August 23, 2003.

I am a Midwife recently trained in England and now in Toronto (I'm also Canadian). The process is to undergo an approximately year long assessment process. it used to be called PLEA (prior learning experience assessment) but is now in a more friendly course format called IMPP (international midwifery pre-registration program). this course (part time out of Ryerson University in TO)is a bridging program that gives you the tools to gain registration here. Some useful websites for more info are: The College of Midwives of Ontario - (=UKCC) (actually not very useful) Association of Ontario Midwives (professional org = RCM) and IMPP - 4 of 15 completing the course last year were trained in the UK, but we also came from France, Switzerland, Nigeria and Iran. Good luck... Sara

-- sara wolfe (, September 25, 2003.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ