Ex partner paid eversheds now they are after me

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

Hi (this is such a good site)

I had a joint mortgage with Nationwides. They repossessed our property and sold it for a pathetic amount. (worth 40+ sold for 20) It was repossessed just over 6 years ago. He had his letter 2 years ago and settled for 3500 - he had problems because Nationwide would not admit to having arranged a MIG in Oct 1989. So I have a shortfall of 29k. I am on income support and have no savings, my home is rented and I won't be working, with 3 kids

Do I follow your route asking for all the info, or just tell them Im broke - or both?

Kind regards

Marne Thanks for reading this letter

-- marne small (marnesmall@aol.com), March 14, 2002


If the company has not persued you for the debt for 6 years or more they can not sue or demand they money under TORT the 6 year exclusion rule.

-- tom burrows (zebra.9@btclick.com), March 15, 2002.

Er..Tom you should re-read the dates above. Contact was made with ex two years ago - before the six years. Ex was (probably) jointly and severally liable with this poster, therefore contact is deemed to have been made within the time period. They are within their rights to chase this person for the shortfall.I would follow the advice on this site Marne and dispute the debt. Income support does not equal full benefits so they *will* keep coming back, as you are earning a wage. With kids in the picture I would (personally) get this settled once and for all and get shot of them, even if it means borrowing money off family/credit cards whatever. Make sure your agreement is "full and final" as they have been known to renege on agreements and crawl back out from under their stones years down the line when you might be on your feet.

-- Too scared to say (iwasduped@yahoo.com), March 15, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ