Senators to look at Y2K contingency plans : LUSENET : TimeBomb 2000 (Y2000) : One Thread

March 31, 1999


Senators to look at Y2K contingency plans

By Rebecca S. Weiner, National Journal's Technology Daily

Since federal computer systems will not be 100 percent Y2K-ready by today's governmentwide deadline, the Senate's special Y2K committee is planning a review of contingency plans and testing efforts next month.

About 90 percent of federal mission-critical computer systems will be Y2K-compliant, but the remaining 10 percent may prove the most troublesome. These include systems run by contractors or states to administer food stamps and Medicare payments, Defense Department systems and Federal Aviation Administration computers.

Sens. Robert Bennett, R-Utah, and Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., who head the committee, plan to question White House Y2K czar John Koskinen and Office of Management and Budget Director Jacob Lew on the government's plans for becoming fully ready for Y2K.

OMB's most recent report showed that only five federal agencies or departments are 100 percent Y2K-ready. The remaining have completed partial repairs, but the crucial testing phase remains.

Bennett and Dodd have said final end-to-end testing, which demonstrates how interconnected computer systems work together, is one of the most important aspects of Y2K readiness. The March 31 deadline was set to give the government enough time to test and make last-minute repairs before the 2000 date change.

Bennett repeatedly has said that a 90 percent compliance rate is not compliant because every aspect of mission critical computer systems must be ready for them to work.

-- none (none@none.none), March 31, 1999



-- wow (, March 31, 1999.

Hotlink ...


Good one, none.

It also echoes the Washington Post article, that someone pointed out on another thread.


Meeting the Deadline, Mostly
By Stephen Barr
Wednesday, March 31, 1999; Page A27 1999-03/31/008l-033199-idx.html

... While analysts applauded the governments progress, they stress that the next phase, called end-to-end testing, would be difficult, consume huge chunks of time and add to agency costs. ...

... Even though they have made many of the systems individually compliant, they still face the challenge of making sure they all work together...

-- Diane J. Squire (, March 31, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ